Skip to main content

On Tattoos

HEADS UP: images containing raw tattoos exist herein, so tread carefully if blood stuff affects you.***

Tattoos are becoming more and more common these days. I thought today I'd give my two cents about the matter.

I asked my mother once how people with tattoos were regarded when she was my age. She kind of pursed her lip for a few seconds and said something along the lines of, "usually, people with tattoos were seen as...not classy people." She went on to explain that tattoos were mainly worn in the US by bikers and criminals and that it was seen more as a sign of indoctrination into some sort of unsavory community or another. It meant that you were in so deep, you didn't care how society viewed you; you proudly displayed this aspect of your identity, because you already had all the support and confidence you needed. It was a symbol of belonging to a larger community of people.

I think it's interesting how tattoos have gone from symbols meant to intimidate and display hardcore loyalty to a group, to something that almost anyone can use to express themselves. Although the former is certainly still utilized by some today.

Of course, my mother's explanation isn't the sole origin of tattooing. Cultures across the world have embraced this form of body art for generations. The Maori people, for example, or the ancient Celts. In the case of the Maori, tattoos, or "Ta Moko", were/are a way of proudly displaying one's achievements, like a resumé. The Celts and Picts believed staining certain patterns into their skin would serve them in battle, making them look more intimidating to their enemies (it worked). Then again, it's just as likely that they sometimes did for personal, non-martial reasons as well; the Vikings probably wore tattoos for a number of reasons, but one theory suggests they used it as a proto-typical identification system. The same way the modern police sometimes use a person's tattoos on specific parts of their bodies to identify a suspect, back in the Dark Ages, people could sometimes tell who you were based only on your tattoos. "Oh, you're the guy with a wolf tattooed on his cheek! I've heard of you! You're the guy who once literally ate a live chicken!"



If it were that simple, would that make identity theft harder, or easier?


I have one tattoo on my left arm, done by Kaitlyn Garfoot in Madison, Wisconsin. In my case, I'd gone through quite a tumultuous period in my life. It was a time filled with loss, transition, and introspection. To be honest, I'm still going through it, but I felt like the year and a half or so in Madison in which it took place would be some of the most significant and formative in my life. So, to commemorate the lessons I learned (and treat myself to something I'd always wanted), I picked out an artist and commissioned a totally unique design. Two sessions, five and a half hours and over $300 later, I now have something permanently attached to my body that makes me happy every time I look at it.



I think it's safe to say this is the most Metal picture of me that exists.


I have a rule about tattoos: before I get one, I have to mull it over for at least 6 months...that way, I'm guaranteed to avoid making a decision with permanent consequences without considerable forethought. I've never broken this rule, and the tattoo I have now is the only design to have ever passed the test.

They say tattoos are addictive, and I can confirm that it's true. I'm already thinking about my next one. I'm pretty strapped right now, but once I get back on my feet, I have a couple ideas: first, I'd like a forearm tattoo on my right arm. I'd have to cover my arm in certain work environments, but for some reason having a meaningful and/or cool design on that specific part of my body appeals to me.

(Before I go on, I want to slip this disclaimer in really quick: if you take nothing else from this article, remember that if you do get a tattoo, definitely tip your artist. Not everyone knows this, but it is expected you tip your artist at least 15-25%, and it's considered super rude not to.)

I sort of really want a Rebel Alliance symbol from "Star Wars". It's a cool symbol, and to me, it's evocative of the times; with Western civilization resembling an evil empire more and more each day, those of us who remain rational, compassionate people are finding it harder and harder to approve of the governments whose job it is to represent our will. To me, the Rebel Alliance symbol isn't just an icon from a popular franchise, it's a symbol of hope. No matter how insane the world gets, it reminds me that there are always enough sane, strong people in it to form entire coalitions to oppose oppression and corruption. I find that comforting and empowering.

The other idea I have is from a song I love...now, I'm wary of tattoos based on song lyrics; I've always thought they were more cheesy than anything. Maybe that has more to do with the tattoos I have seen in this vein. Anyway, it's from a song called "Modern Jesus" by Portugal, the Man, off their album Evil Friends. It's a short phrase that goes like this:


"Who cares if Hell awaits?
We're having drinks at Heaven's gates."


I think I was in a really bad mood one day when I noticed how uplifting this part of the song was to me. It makes me think of a lesson I've been trying to learn for years, about staying present and not obsessing over the future. It's a jaunty take on a lesson about self-care. Phrasing it like they do in the song, it feels less preachy or clinical, and more like a warm suggestion coming from someone who's mastered the art of staying present.

Tattoos have tremendous capacity for expression, and I'm glad that the new picture of a tattooed person looks less like a switchblade-flicking thug or bloodthirsty barbarian, and more like a harmless graphic artist who rides a ten-speed and lives in Portland.

Comments

Popular Thing

Capcom's anti-union hiring practices

Last week , I wrote about the remake of "Resident Evil 2," which was announced just before E3. This week, I want to talk about something close to my heart - even more so, possibly, than "Resident Evil"...because the only thing I care about more than the "Resident Evil" video games are the rights of the people making them. "Resident Evil 2" centers around the story of two protagonists: Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield. Before he went on to be the roundhouse-kicking poster boy of the franchise after the explosive success of "Resident Evil 4," Leon was a wet-behind-the-ears rookie who spent as much time complaining about how "nobody listens to me" as he did taking orders from civilians, despite being the only cop alive in the police precinct. After "RE2," Claire didn't see as much success. She next appeared in "Code: Veronica," my personal favorite of the series. Alyson Court, pictured above, re

"Solo: A Star Wars Story," AKA what pisses me off about my fellow nerds

***Minor spoilers for "Solo: A Star Wars Story" herein*** On rare occasions, I manage to avoid trailers before seeing a movie like "Solo: A Star Wars Story." I go in a total blank slate, and I get to enjoy or dislike the movie pure of externally-inherited bias. That said, apparently it was a particularly good thing I did so with this movie. A couple  of articles, as well as this video , have been circulating the web. The consensus seems to be that a good number of people wanted the movie to fail because they don't like that it was a movie about Han Solo that didn't include Harrison Ford as the lead role. Or, they didn't like that the project was greenlit at all. Or...name any of the millions of reasons people could have for hating a movie they haven't seen. I genuinely believe a lot of the Web-based hysteria comes not from people who saw the movie, but fans of certain reviewers. Apparently film critic Angry Joe, the Forbes writer Dani

Why the REmake of "Resident Evil 2" was inevitable

E3 came and went again, and while everyone else was freaking out over "Cyberpunk 2077" or "Dying Light," I was interested in another announcement that flew relatively under the radar. Anyone who knows me knows this...I am obsessed with "Resident Evil," especially the early games. "Resident Evil 2" is getting a remake. Arguably, "RE2" is the favorite among hardcore fans, aside from the legendary "Resident Evil 4." As far as the old-hat Resident Evils go, it's the one everyone can agree on. It's not the first time an old title got an "update;" in 2002, "Resident Evil," the first in the series, got a total overhaul from its original PlayStation 1 graphics on the Gamecube. Besides improved graphics and voice acting (and let's all thank our respective religious deities for that), it included new areas and new enemies, including Lisa Trevor - the unkillable face-collecting monstrosi